[Marxism] Gilbert Achcar interview

Lenin's Tomb leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 28 06:40:26 MDT 2011

On 28/08/2011 13:30, Greg McDonald wrote:
> I'm curious how Achcar arrives at the figure of 10,000 casualties,
> which he attributes to the Gadaffi regime, and contrasts with the
> lesser figure of 2,200 casualties in Syria.

This comes straight from the opposition itself, and should be taken with
the usual pinch of salt, particularly in light of figures from HRW and
Amnesty which tend to speak of scores, dozens, at most hundreds of
deaths in particular cities.  Kuperman, citing HRW, pointed out that one
of the biggest and most severely suffering cities, Misrata, had seen 257
deaths in the first two months of conflict.  In all likelihood, the
figure is a bit higher than this, as HRW can't possibly have verified
every single death.  But the scenario Achcar depicts of big massacres is
unsustainable.  Unfortunately, Achcar is using these dubious figures to
morally browbeat his opponents: an adult discussion of the evidence is
excluded in advance because it would "indecent" to take any position
other than the one he adopts - of course, the trope of "decent" leftism
has a peculiar and unsavoury history over the last decade.  I find this
lapse into shrill, decentist vulgarity on Achcar's part mildly depressing.