[Marxism] Hurricane report

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Aug 28 09:30:16 MDT 2011

The fact is that every  winter in the northeastern USA, we get storms known
as northeaster.  These storms are typically at least as powerful as Irene,
with comparable wind speeds, and are often much more destructive,
since these storms bring heavy snow rather than rain.  We had storms
last winter that caused much more destruction than Irene has, thus far.
And we will probably experience more of the same this winter too.
Those storms too, get really hyped up by the media, but the hype over
Irene seems rather silly IMO.

I suspect that a combination of factors is behind the hype over Irene.
>From the standpoint of media outlets, late summer before Labor Day,
is a typical "slow news" period, so a big storm is a godsend for them.
Then there is some reason to believe that some of the Obama people
might be looking forward to using the storm as a way for providing
a new economic stimulus in the form of disaster relief.  Paul Krugman
has been suggesting just that, and some of the GOP,  like Eric Cantor,
fearing that might happen, have asserted that any increases in government
spending for storm relief must be compensated for by spending cuts elsewhere.

Jim Farmelant
http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant