[Marxism] Gaddafi is stronger than ever in Libya | Richard Seymour | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 07:23:18 MDT 2011

On 2011-08-31, at 3:35 AM, Greg Adler wrote:

> As I write this I am listening to a radio report of a jubilant Eid
> celebration in
> Tripoli that is doubling as a joyous celebration of the overthrow of the
> "ancien regime".

Still seems like more of a mixed picture:

"In some parts of Tripoli, the fighters flashed V for victory gestures and were met with energetic replies. In others, they weren’t, possibly an indication the rebels aren’t universally welcome in a city that less than two weeks ago was controlled by Qaddafi..."

"...Maiteeg, 24, said pro-Qaddafi militias were on the streets, pretending to be part of a rebel army that includes brigades from Misrata, the Nafusa Mountains and districts of Tripoli itself, contradicting claims by the council that the capital is fully under its control. “They are all still here,” said Maiteeg, a former oil engineer. “You can see them. They wear our clothes and shout Allah Akbar, but they are Qaddafi guys.”

"...While the staff seemed unhappy to see them, they let them use the kitchen if they brought their own food. The fighters said the district remains loyal to Qaddafi, something that couldn’t be independently verified."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-30/rebels-scrounge-for-munitions-ahead-of-final-assault-on-qaddafi-birthplace.html