[Marxism] NYT still fighting for "revolution" in Libya. (Was: Arm the resistance - Victory to the Libyan revolution - No to the NATO/UN No Fly Zone)

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 1 08:58:21 MDT 2011

Louis on "empty rhetoric": "Because nobody except the lunatic fringe of the worldwide left,
those several thousands of lost souls who festoon their websites
and broadsheets with hammer-and-sickles and red stars, will pay
the slightest attention to it."

Sorry, Louis, but that answer doesn't cut it. In fact, short of mass demonstrations in the hundreds of thousands (and even then), you could easily argue that "nobody" (by which presumably you mean the corporate media and the vast bulk of the population) pays the slightest attention to ANYTHING the left does. Be that as it may, we have to act, and speak, as if what we say and do DOES have significance, because one day it will.

And, as I noted, of all the slogans which are NOT "empty rhetoric," "arm the resistance" is at the top of the list, because in fact, the imperialists are doing just that. Right now, as far as we know, the U.S. government itself is not, but the more voices that are heard in the U.S. raising that demand, the more acceptable it will become and the more likely it will happen. Unless you think we can get a little reverse psychology working on the ruling class, and by embracing "arm the resistance" we'll convince them there must be something wrong in that. I wouldn't count on that, though; they understand their class interests better than some of us.

Eli Stephens
 Left I on the News
 http://lefti.blogspot.com