[Marxism] NYT still fighting for "revolution" in Libya. (Was: Arm the resistance - Victory to the Libyan revolution - No to the NATO/UN No Fly Zone)

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 1 09:10:59 MDT 2011

Mark: "I particularly share the wonderment at the priority people place in fighting over this when I look at the fearsome realities out my front door."

Actually, Mark, the American public is in large numbers understanding that Libya (and, increasingly, Afghanistan) demonstrate the connection between imperialist wars abroad and the war at home against working people. People look at how easily and unjustifiably the government will spend hundreds of millions of dollars on war while laying off teachers and firefighters and more at home. What better opportunity to explain the nature of capitalism and imperialism?

Which is one of the reasons why trying to organize people around the SINGLE demand ("stop the war on Libya"), and presumably linking that (as I'm sure will happen) to the usual "money for jobs" demand, is so important. Whatever discussions go on in "private" about the nature of the resistance in Libya, muddying that demand IN PUBLIC is precisely the wrong thing to do. Focus!

Eli Stephens
 Left I on the News
 http://lefti.blogspot.com