[Marxism] NYT still fighting for "revolution" in Libya. (Was: Arm the resistance - Victory to the Libyan revolution - No to the NATO/UN No Fly Zone)

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 10:49:40 MDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Eli Stephens <elishastephens at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Actually, Mark, the American public is in large numbers understanding that
> Libya (and, increasingly, Afghanistan) demonstrate the connection between
> imperialist wars abroad and the war at home against working people.

Nice for a leaflet.  Pure BS as analysis.

There are, of course, an infinite variety of issues to discuss and raise, so
we have to recognize priorities...  (That is, we have to RECOGNIZE what's
going on in the world around us rather than pick what we wish would and
wouldn't be moving people.  If I could pick, I'd say the masses are
radicalizing and hoping to mobilize around the need for good radical
history.)

Where I live, it's not any particular line on Libya that's getting people to
make connections or that's going to mobilize them.  Where I live,
unemployment among people my age is over half.  They don't have to look
overseas to understand the system.  But maybe we're just not a factor in
what determines an idea of "the American public" and what moves it....

In terms of the Middle East, I deal with many, many young people in the
course a year--and a fairly reasonable cross section of them.  What concerns
and could move them isn't "the SINGLE demand ('stop the war on Libya')."
The largest group that actually knows what's going on over there and gives a
rat's ass are the veterans. It's the nature of the conflict that their
experience was in Afghanistan and Iraq and that Libya doesn't look like it
will be producing very many.  Their complaint--and it's nearly universal
among them--is that government, media and that "public" are maintaining
their comfort levels on the issue of the war by ignoring it...and them.

Given the reality where I live and work, the heated arguments about Libya
are perplexing.  The best interpretation I can make of this is that the
misrepresentations and slanders of other radicals for not supporting the
government there is just collateral damage to an organizational quest for a
uniquely super-"revolutionary" position.

ML