[Marxism] NYT still fighting for "revolution" in Libya. (Was: Arm the resistance - Victory to the Libyan revolution - No to the NATO/UN No Fly Zone)

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Fri Jul 1 14:05:03 MDT 2011

On 07/01/2011 11:00 AM, Mark Lause wrote:
> I particularly share the wonderment at the priority people place in fighting
> over this when I look at the fearsome realities out my front door.

i wish i could say its mildly interesting watching someone like Eli
hammer this email list into a dead end waste of time. but i can't.

and i am somewhat partial to those who say we have to protest US policy
on Libya first and foremost. but Eli's  brand of list activity of late
is pure which-side-are-you-on bullshit in a case where I THINK most
people are approximately on the same side.

i mean, i met a guy who's just fresh back from the protests in Greece
and i have avoided giving him the marxmail list address because frankly
i fear he would simply  find it off-topic. and i know how he feels about
the Libya bombing.

on this "approximately on the same side" point: i've thought about this
a long while. nearly everyone who posts to this list is an outspoken
firebrand of some kind or another. everyone is capable of telling others
what they think. in such an environment, it is totally pointless to go
ON AND ON AND ON AND ON debating, for example, Libya as we have. I have
no trouble imagining Lou saying something like "you know, Eli, i really
think in this case we should support NATO bombing of Libya". but he
hasnt.  and i dont think he's thinking one thing and saying another.  he
has no reason to do such. bourgeois politicians seeking re-election do
this all the time. Lou doesnt need to.  for a number of years Lou has
been clear to me about his involvement with this list. he is not trying
to build a political party, he is trying to keep open a non-sectarian
marxist discussion list where all persuasions can come and debate, so
long as the list as a whole benefits from the debate. i do not see Lou
writing leaflets and organizing in the streets. as far as i can tell
that is not his immediate interest. so for Eli to split hairs with Lou
regarding how his (Lou's) positions could be misinterpreted by all and
various sundry, its a little (a lot) pointless. .

so, "Libya debaters" could do the rest of us a big favor and drop this
debate *between yourselves*. NO ONE is getting anything out of this
debate. you are repeating the same things over and over again. how you
are each fighting the good fight in your home towns, that is
interesting. how you are arguing with "Lou Proyect the Internet
lightning rod"?: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lou has to get to the point where he's had enough of this kind of list
doldrums. i'm waiting...  with my finger on the moderation key.

Les