[Marxism] Anti-empire report: Libya: Unending American hostility

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jul 3 09:24:05 MDT 2011

On 7/2/11 6:50 PM, pat costello wrote:

> The Anti-Empire Report
> July 1st, 2011
> by William Blum
> www.killinghope.org
> Libya: Unending American hostility

> It should be further noted that since Gaddafi came to power in 1969
> there has virtually never been a sustained period when the United
> States has been prepared to treat him and the many positive changes
> he's instituted in Libya and Africa with any respect. For a history of
> this hostility, including the continual lies and scare campaigns, see
> my Libya chapter in Killing Hope.

This of course is absurd and discredits Bill Blum, as I informed him
yesterday. Here's the exchange:

On 7/1/2011 7:49 AM, BBlum6 at aol.com wrote:
 > Anti-Empire Report, July 1, 2011
 > http://www.killinghope.org/bblum6/aer95.html

"It should be further noted that since Gaddafi came to power in 1969
there has virtually never been a sustained period when the United States
has been prepared to treat him and the many positive changes he's
instituted in Libya and Africa with any respect."

Wouldn't you define a period lasting from around 2001 to 2010 sustained?

The New York Times

May 16, 2006 Tuesday
Late Edition - Final

U.S. WILL RESTORE DIPLOMATIC LINKS WITH THE LIBYANS

BYLINE: By JOEL BRINKLEY; Matthew L. Wald and Steven R. Weisman
contributed reporting for this article.

DATELINE: WASHINGTON, May 15

The Bush administration announced Monday that it would re-establish full
diplomatic ties with Libya because Libya had abandoned its nuclear and
other unconventional weapons programs and helped in the campaign against
terrorism.

The decision ends more than 25 years of hostility while sending a strong
signal to Iran and North Korea to follow suit.

Along with the normalization of relations and the announced intention to
open a new embassy in Tripoli, the administration removed Libya from the
list of nations that are state sponsors of terrorism. The United States
had reaffirmed Libya's place on that list as recently as March.

The announcements were a result of Libya's surprise decision in 2003 to
renounce terrorism. At the time, senior American officials said they
believed that Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi, the Libyan leader, had taken that
step because he was chastened by the American invasion of Iraq. Since
then, Libya has also destroyed its chemical weapons stockpiles and
dismantled a secret nuclear weapons program.

"Libya is an important model as nations around the world press for
changes in behavior by the Iranian and North Korean regimes," Secretary
of State Condoleezza Rice said. Hers was just one of several similar
statements on Monday from senior officials who worked hard to turn
Libya's change in behavior into a lesson for Iran as a resolution on
Iran's nuclear development program remains stalled in the United Nations
Security Council.

So far, however, Iran has ridiculed Libya for its reconciliation with
the West. But on Monday, Libya accepted the news enthusiastically and
even promised to cooperate with the United States in at least one area
in which it is ill equipped to offer help.

"We encourage America on the path of cooperation and we hope we will
cooperate together through cultural debate to spread democracy around
the world together," said Mustapha Zaidi, who leads Libya's
Revolutionary Committees -- an apparatus of Colonel Qaddafi's
iron-fisted control of the country.

(clip)

=====

On 7/1/2011 8:21 AM, BBlum6 at aol.com wrote:
 > Diplomatic relations is not at all the same as respect. The US
 > still insists that Gaddafi was the perpetrator of the bombing of
 > PanAm 103.

Look, Bill, the point is that all of those who want to equate Qaddafi
with Milosevic do so at the expense of ignoring 10 years of history.
Compare press coverage of Yugoslavia 5 years before NATO's war with the
equivalent time-frame for Libya before March 2011 and it is night and
day. You, Counterpunch, and Global Research are trying to shoehorn Libya
into an analysis that ignores--for example--Berlusconi and Qaddafi's
lovefest. Surely this should be of interest to a anti-imperialist
journalist:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-23/berlusconi-s-slavish-courtship-of-qaddafi-to-befriend-libya-haunts-italy.html