[Marxism] Anti-empire report: Libya: Unending American hostility

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jul 3 10:24:10 MDT 2011

On 7/3/11 11:43 AM, Eli Stephens wrote:
> Forget the word "sustained," how about taking a look at the word
> "respect"? Do you consider it a sign of "respect" when a strong
> country like the United States forces a weaker country to give up
> something (a nuclear weapons program) which the United States would
> never give up, all for the right to be removed from the offensive
> "state sponsors of terrorism" list and to have an embassy (no doubt
> filled with spies) established in your country? "Respect" is the last
> word that comes to mind. "Contempt" would be more accurate.

You are dealing with a different issue, namely American domination of
weaker nations. The only point I was making was that Libya folded under
such pressure, unlike Serbia. If you read what I wrote to Blum, about
comparisons between Yugoslavia and Libya being ill-conceived, you would
have understood that. Qaddafi--between 2001 and 2011--was not Milosevic.
He was Kostunica.

Blum wrote:

"It should be further noted that since Gaddafi came to power in 1969
there has virtually never been a sustained period when the United States
has been prepared to treat him and the many positive changes he's
instituted in Libya and Africa with any respect. For a history of this
hostility, including the continual lies and scare campaigns, see my
Libya chapter in Killing Hope."

Read this carefully.

It gives the uncritical reader--like Eli--the impression that
"hostility", "lies" and "scares" have been ongoing since 1969.

Obviously, this is complete bullshit. The chapter on Libya in "Killing
Hope" is titled "Libya - 1981-1989: Ronald Reagan meets his match". If
this was 1989, Blum's post would make sense. Unfortunately for him,
history did not stop in 1989. It moved forward.

It is like writing about Christopher Hitchens as if we were still in 1989.

Those who cannot keep track of historical change cannot be taken
seriously as radical commentators.