[Marxism] Dick Roberts on America's Financial Empires

Tom Cod tomcod3 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 19:26:21 MDT 2011

A link to an article by Dick Roberts from 1969.  I'm wondering if
anyone knows of any similarly pithy articles about the current
situation.  I remember reading a Time article early on circa 2008
while in a waiting room somewhere when all of sudden I see "side
bets", meaning derivatives.  Huh?  mortgage default swaps, sort of
like an arsonist buying fire insurance on houses he doesn't own but
has plans for.  Then again, this type of skullduggery and what was
then called "financial piracy" goes back to the earliest days of Wall
Street.  The recent bio of Vanderbilt by T.J. Stiles gives a good
overview of this with a detour into the early history of US (both
Yankee and incipient Confederate) imperialism in Central America
during the days of William Walker.

http://www.marxists.org/history/etol/newspape/isr/vol30/no03/roberts.htm