[Marxism] James Woolcott on the Casey Anthony verdict

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jul 6 06:42:46 MDT 2011

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/wolcott/2011/07/the-casey-anthony-verdict.html

The Casey Anthony Verdict
by James Wolcott
July 5, 2011, 2:45 PM

I don't claim powers of clairvoyance or psychic reading, but the
other day I was channel-hopping and paused at one of the cable
channels doing a live feed from the Casey Anthony trial. I hadn't
followed the case, had only a dim awareness of the apparently
endless discussion of duct tape, stench from the car, and Casey
Anthony's visit to a tattoo place that had taken place within the
endless cable palaver during the trial coverage, but after a few
minutes of watching I vaguely thought, I dunno, I could see her
getting off.

So when the not-guilty verdicts came down within the last hour on
the charges of murder and manslaughter (she was found guilty on
the charges of lying to investigators), I seemed to be one of the
few whose world didn't flip sideways--I wasn't that surprised and
if anything pleased that the jury made up its own collective mind
in defiance of the lynch-mob clamor on the cable channels.

It can't be said that the know-nothing know-it-alls on Fox News
and Nancy Grace's Sweeney Todd cooking school accepted the jury's
verdict with modesty and maturity. After expressing shock and
taking turns to tell us how "stunned" they were, they accused the
jury of suffering from Stockholm Syndrome (staring at Casey
Anthony's face somehow melting their reason and resolve),
appearing to resent that fact that the defendant might be freed
soon (since she might be granted time-served on the lesser
charges, having already served years behind bars), and acting
peevish that they didn't get their way, having already convicted
Casey Anthony on the airwaves for years now and treating the trial
as an audiovisual demonstration of what to them was self-evident.

"Appearing to resent" and "peevish" are too mild, actually--many
of the instant commentators on cable were visibly, audibly angry
at the AUDACITY these acquittals. (Once exception: Judge Andrew
Napolitano on Fox News, who was calm and sensible.)

It may have annoyed Nancy Grace (everything annoys Nancy Grace),
but the defense attorney for Casey Anthony slamdunked it
afterwards when he told the press that this verdict was a rebuke
to the demonization of his client and the ugly, unprofessional
spectacle of lawyers going on TV to talk about a case about which
they clearly didn't know as much as they thought they did.

What little I saw of the coverage was disgusting and sob-sister,
this endless fetishizing of "little Caylee," as if these
well-dressed, high-paid lawyers and media mouths had adopted her
as their own little angel, and minutes after the verdict came down
there was Judge Jeanine Pirro wailing, Where is the justice for
this little girl? ("Justice for Caylee" was the sidebar subhead on
Grace's Headline News coverage, as if it were a personal crusade.)

Look, I don't know if Casey Anthony is guilty or not, but neither
does Nancy Grace or any of the performing seals brought in as
expert commentators to bark and clap their fins, and maybe if they
acknowledged they lack of godly omniscience they might be a little
less "shocked" and "stunned" the next time around.

Barring exorcism, I don't expect Nancy Grace to change, she being
the only person whose nose seems tilted into a permanent sneer.

Postscript: Thanks, Florida, FOR WASTING OUR TIME YET AGAIN.