[Marxism] Tommy Sheridan

Ben Ben youcanemailbenhere at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 7 09:05:10 MDT 2011

A knock-on effect of the crisis that has rapidly engulfed, and perhaps even temporary paralysed, the British arm of Murdoch's news empire in the last 24 hours is that the Tommy Sheridan case may be reviewed.

I post this here as I know that Sheridan's unhappy tale has prompted some discussion on the list. And, indeed, I cannot believe that phone hacking is somehow a passtime solely for British journalists.

One of Sheridan's accusers (and PM David Cameron's former right-hand man) is himself now accused in green lighting criminal activity. He has maintained innocence throughout.

"Among those who testified were Andy Coulson, who was editor of the News of the World when the hacking allegations emerged.

"In parliament on Wednesday, Watson, MP for West Bromwich East, said he believed the conviction last year of the former MSP could be "unsound" in the light of the News of the World allegations. He made the comments during the emergency House of Commons debate on the phone-hacking claims.

Full:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/07/tommy-sheridan-evidence-investigated-phone-hacking?INTCMP=SRCH