[Marxism] Obama and FDR

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 8 08:39:05 MDT 2011

Fortunately, the decline of conservatism and the advent of Barack
Obama are occurring at the same time that there's a new online
technology capable of harnessing citizen energy nearly cost-free
to pressure for a program of Progressive Patriotism, much as the
Internet, social networks, and ardent bloggers helped lift Obama
into office.

Then, if he and his base can credibly claim success by 2012 or
2016 in, say, seven or more of these ten goals--especially
healthcare and democracy--President Obama will be regarded as a
twenty-first-century FDR and credited with inspiring an era of
positive progressive governance.

--Mark Green, Nation Magazine, Jan. 13, 2009

====

I ran for President because I believed in an America where
ordinary folks could get ahead; where if you worked hard, you
could have a better life. That's been my focus since I came into
office, and that has to be our focus now. It's one of the reasons
why we're working to reduce our nation's deficit. Government has
to start living within its means, just like families do. We have
to cut the spending we can't afford so we can put the economy on
sounder footing, and give our businesses the confidence they need
to grow and create jobs.

--Barack Obama, Jul. 2, 2011 Radio Address

====

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2011/jul/07/how-fdr-did-it/

How FDR Did It
Ronald Dworkin

We now have a President we can admire and respect. But he seems
unaware that his opponents are not patriots anxious to help govern
through a decent consensus but fanatics who would destroy the
country if that would lead to his defeat. We think he should
understand that this is a time for confrontation not compromise.
He should therefore remember the words of another president
running for reelection in the middle of an even graver economic
catastrophe, words that seem eerily relevant now.

Here is Franklin Roosevelt, in Madison Square Garden, in 1936:

"For nearly four years you have had an Administration which
instead of twirling its thumbs has rolled up its sleeves. We will
keep our sleeves rolled up. We had to struggle with the old
enemies of peace—business and financial monopoly, speculation,
reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionalism, war
profiteering. They had begun to consider the Government of the
United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know
now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as
Government by organized mob. Never before in all our history have
these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand
today. They are unanimous in their hate for me—and I welcome their
hatred. I should like to have it said of my first Administration
that in it the forces of selfishness and of lust for power met
their match. I should like to have it said of my second
Administration that in it these forces met their master."

President Obama might recall that Roosevelt won re-election by the
largest majority before or since.

July 7, 2011 2:38 p.m.