[Marxism] Cuban CP rescinds expulsion of Esteban Morales

Fred Feldman ffeldman at verizon.net
Fri Jul 8 16:53:57 MDT 2011

Esteban Morales' separation (stateside, we would call it expulsion) from the
Cuban CP has been rescinded. Morales was expelled for an article in Juventud
Rebelde on the dangers he saw in corruption in the Cuban CP. Of course, he
did not start the discussion, and it has expanded since then. His formal
reinstatement is a good thing.

Given the state of the left today, I am sure that someone will interpret his
statement that this has been a "learning experience" as a Moscow-Trials
style confession, but I don't see it that way, and I don't think that is
what he communicates to those who supported him.

Morales suffered no repression, and continued to be active in expressing his
views and pursuing various literary-historical projects.
Fred Feldman

Thursday July 7, 2011

Message to my readers and friends

Google translation. Slightly revised by Walter Lippmann.
Spanish original below.

I wish to inform you that during the past week, I was called to a meeting of
the Commission of Appeals for the Party Central Committee. At that meeting I
was told the decision to rescind the penalty of separation, taken by the
Municipal Party Committee of the Municipality beach last year and rejoin the
party card and with it the full membership.

I take this opportunity to thank the many expressions of support and care
received during the last few months from friends, colleagues and strangers
intellectuals, to thank those who communicated with me in several ways,
which addressed the issue in remarks or simply approached on the street to
inquire about my situation. I want to thank my family alike for their
support, these have been difficult days, but a huge learning experience. I
will continue working with the same commitment to addressing the issues that
come through this blog. I hope so.

Thank you very much everyone.

Esteban Morales Dominguez