[Marxism] good essay on education

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Sun Jul 10 07:31:58 MDT 2011

On 07/09/2011 08:19 PM, Gary MacLennan wrote:
> It is unfortunate that this debate has turned sour. I am learning so much
> from it.

there are two kinds of responses to this article: one that focuses on
the issue of education, and one that focuses on the political
correctness of Foster. Gary seems to be in the first category, Manuel,
Brian and Leonardo seem to be in the second.

i'm with Gary: my take is who gives a shit if Foster has his p's and q's
straight about a marxist interpretation of the events. take a stab at
the problem and generate discussion. see what comes out of it. Manuel
and Brian were starting to sound  like stuck up college professors to my
ear, dissecting an article that just came out in their field of
expertise as if their very lives depended on denouncing it. a true
failure of the educational system when marxmailers emulate the worst of
academia. spitball time!!!!!

but i think the topic is interesting and vital enough i'd like to hear
what Manuel, Brian and Leonardo have to say, if only they could excise
the drek.

there is some interesting data in the article as well, particularly
about large foundations and their attempt to control the direction of
educational "reform".

finally, it occurred to me to ask what is happening in other countries
in regards education. is the US singular in its experience?

Les