[Marxism] good essay on education

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jul 10 10:15:51 MDT 2011

On 7/10/11 11:52 AM, mckenna193 at aol.com wrote:
> As Gramsci noted, we have to make these fights count. As a gracious
> editor, John Bellamy Foster should invite Henry to write a piece for
> Monthly Review.

Good luck with that. Foster is about as gracious as a scorpion.

More to the point, MR has never really covered education in any kind of
depth so it is a good thing that this issue appeared. (There is an MR
book on the problem of adjunct professors, but that is a bit different
from the big debate about public school "reform").

Yes, Giroux might have been slighted but I am sure he will get over
that. Most tenured professors have pretty thick skins. It goes with the
territory. Furthermore, I doubt that Foster has really delved into this
literature in any kind of depth even though his article is excellent.
(And that takes into account his wife's struggle as a teacher.)

Foster is rather good at bracketing out literature that is not of
immediate relevance to his scholarly pursuits. I would bet $100 that he
has never read a book on Iran in his life based on his foolish decision
not to publish an important article by a radical critic of the Islamic
Republic in the magazine. (My guess is that if it had been submitted to
MRZine, it would have been burned).

For all I know, Foster might answer "respected restaurant critic" when
queried "Who is Henry Giroux".

I should add that this field generates a puzzling amount of acrimony. I
am not sure if Peter McClaren is still subbed to Marxmail but he is
about as respected an authority as Giroux who he has collaborated with
in the past.

I know for a fact that McClaren views Bill Ayers, one of the
contributors to the issue, as a real jerk for having written a hostile
review of one of his books. I am not familiar with the controversy but I
think Ayers is a jerk from the get-go.

http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2008/04/18/who-is-bill-ayers/