[Marxism] Somehow, the unemployed became invisible

Fred Feldman ffeldman at verizon.net
Sun Jul 10 11:47:44 MDT 2011

David Plouffe, the president's political czar, said on the eve of the
release of Friday's dismal jobs numbers that he does not believe that the
high unemployment rate poses a threat to President Obama's 2012 re-election
campaign.

Speaking to reporters this week, Plouffe said, "The average American does
not view the economy through the prism of GDP or unemployment rates or even
monthly jobs numbers. People won't vote based on the unemployment rate,
they're going to vote based on: 'How do I feel about my own situation? Do I
believe the president makes decisions based on me and my family?'"
http://www.thenation.com/blog/161863/unemployment-spikes-obamas-got-bigger-p
roblem-debt-ceiling

And Obama retains a big lead over the Republicans in fund-raising for 2012.
His real constituency is those who will gain by cutting SS and Medicare. It
is overwhelmingly probable that Obama will drop the demand to cancel the
Bush tax cuts, in order to get an agreement with the Republicans.

The Republicans may be reluctant because they know that, barring a new
economic crash or a big upswing in the class struggle, cutting the deal
Obama wants (minus rescinding the tax cuts) will make Obama THE big business
candidate of choice next year. But I think Obama is close to having the GOP
cornered.
Fred