[Marxism] good essay on education

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Sun Jul 10 12:49:32 MDT 2011

On 07/10/2011 01:38 PM, Leonardo Kosloff wrote:
> I didn’t refer to more of the issues involved in the problem
> because I saw that the general slant of Foster’s article was centered around
> the monopoly capital Taylorism theory and I think this is an inversion.

i wasnt so interested in Foster's theory as in the problems facing
public education and he did a better job than others i have seen at
chronicling the history. i gather Giroux and others have better theories
in the minds of some. fine. my own theory is rather simplistic:
companies in the US have little need for the high-school educated beyond
narrow training in whatever is their current need. thats the industrial
capitalist i am talking about. the financial kings? they don't want
nuttin from an educated populace, though, according to FOster, they may
get into the public school business as there may be some money to make.
and Bill Gates, the largest supplier of $$ to the reform movement (along
with Michael Dell of Dell Computers) is (or at least was) more
interested in ensuring Microsoft is in place in the educational empire.

> Anyhow, please give me a couple days to reply and I’ll try
> to elaborate, maybe tell you some of the little I know from conditions in
> education in Argentina. Got pseudo-work to do if you know what I mean.

as long as the pseudo-work doesnt devolve into real derivatives hustling.

les