[Marxism] good essay on education

David P Á david at miradoiro.com
Sun Jul 10 13:15:28 MDT 2011

On 10/07/2011 17:52, mckenna193 at aol.com wrote:
> It's appalling enough that they are suppressed from liberal programming like NPR, Fresh air, and Bill Moyers. . .but for Foster to reproduce the exclusion, especially when Giroux's critique is a centerpiece of the Marxist educational theorists for almost 40 years, is noteworthy. . .and disturbing.

I've been googling around this topic a bit, and all I can find is
abstract nonsense. (Not saying that's all there is, but that's all I can
find.) Is there any canonical statement of what critical pedagogy is
about, what are its empirical claims, on what grounds are they based,
what are the differential outcomes when applied as opposed to other
pedagogical theories, etc?

It's fine to make statements on how learning is a social process and
critical thinking is good. That doesn't say anything about most of the
actual concrete questions relating education: school management, class
sizes, the use and abuse of testing, streaming, etc etc.

I would point out that workers' states*, whatever else one may complain
about them, seem to have in many regards followed relatively traditional
models of education, to excellent results.

* Insert your favoured notion here (deformed, whatever).
--David.