[Marxism] Proposed Oz law compels Muslim women to unveil on cop demand

Fred Feldman ffeldman at verizon.net
Mon Jul 11 01:31:35 MDT 2011

I'm sending this as an experiment in using Thunderbird and it may not
succeed.
But it's certainly an interesting story and I hope one or more of our
Australian friends willl have some comments.

It seems to be basically a stop-and-frisk law aimed exclusively at
Muslim women. Obviously related to anti-immigration laws which say cops
can demand ID anytime without cause, and you have to provide it or go to
jail.

Well, I am skeptical, but I hope this works. I will probably need
lessons on this.
Fred

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2011/07/10/2011-07-10_proposed_australian_law_would_require_muslim_women_to_show_faces_behind_veils_to.html?print=1&page=all

Proposed Australian law would require Muslim women to show faces behind
veils to police on demand
By Nina Mandell
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Sunday, July 10th 2011, 12:49 PM

Muslim women in parts of Australia would be required to remove their
veils and show police their faces under a new controversial law proposed
in one of the country’s state legislatures.

According to the law, which was proposed in New South Wales – which
includes Sydney -- women who defy police officers’ orders to raise their
veils could face up to a year in prison and be fined more than $5,000.

In France, a law that bans women from wearing burqas in public has
resulted in numerous arrests.

Women in that country face a fine of 150 euros and could be forced to
complete a course in citizenship lessons.

Belgium also bans covering faces in public.

The proposed law in Australia has sparked criticism from across the country.

"It does seem to be very heavy handed, and there doesn't seem to be a
need," said Australian Council for Civil Liberties spokesman David
Bernie. "It shows some cultural insensitivity."

Proponents of the law said they believe that it would allow Muslim women
freedom from having to obey their families when it comes to their
conservative dress, as well as better assimilate with the mainstream
society.

But some women fear that they will be targeted by police just because
they wear veils – even if they’re not committing any crimes.

"If I'm pulled over by a policeman, I might say I want to see a female
police lady and he says, 'No, I want to see your face,'" Mourna Unnjinal
said. "Where does that leave me? Do I get penalized 5,000 dollars and
sent to jail for 12 months because I wouldn't?"

Around 2,000 women wear veils in the country on a daily basis, according
to estimates.

With News Wire Services

Share
.Email