[Marxism] Belarus under seige

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jul 11 08:01:19 MDT 2011

On 7/11/2011 9:29 AM, Eli Stephens wrote:

> http://www.counterpunch.org/brand07082011.html
>
> A lengthy must-read article about the situation in Belarus, yet
> another country targeted for regime change by "the West."
>
> "Located just next door to crisis-stricken Europe, Belarus is
> more than a thorn in its side; it is living proof that European
> and American neoliberal propaganda is only lies."
>
> The article also demonstrates clearly the ways in which the
> U.S. and its European allies, now joined by pressure from
> Russia as well, can exert on independent countries, and (to my
> way of thinking) the folly of criticizing anyone (e.g.,
> Gaddafi) for being forced to give in, to any extent at all, to
> that pressure.

Some fucking idiocy from this article:

"According to Western media, the protests are being violently
repressed and protesters arbitrarily arrested. According to
Belarusian authorities, participants have been arrested because
they were shouting profanities at police and pushing them. I
unfortunately didn’t happen to see one of the protests while I was
in Belarus recently, and can’t personally report more details
about them."

The politician who ran against Lukashenko, the object of praise in
this article, is serving a five year prison term for protesting
against election irregularities. You don't have to be in Belarus
to understand that Lukashenko is opposed to democratic rights. I
guess it is okay to throw people in prison for five years if there
are "clean streets".

Disgusting.