[Marxism] good essay on education

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 13:06:15 MDT 2011

brad <babscritique at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't really understand your claims.

and

> I would say you can have more of a radical impact than say
> if you were a bus driver, but of course social learning isn't confined
> to the class room so every has the opportunity to make change.  I
> think educators have a very slightly greater capacity to do so though.

My point was essentially that education needs to be understood in a social
and institutional context. . . and that, indeed, there are very serious
limits to thinking of social learning in terms of the classroom.

But I agree that more time in the classroom can perform a helpful function .
. . particularly for things like reading comprehension.

ML