[Marxism] good essay on education

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 10:31:51 MDT 2011

Well, let's assume that everybody's going to try to do what they can
regardless of where they might be . . . .

That said, I don't think you can separate social ideas within the
educational system form the class content of the educational system.
Notwithstanding the ideological rhetoric, education's not about imparting a
social understanding to the unwashed masses or leveling the playing field"
or blurring class lines.

To the contrary, it's about new ways of drawing them more sharply and
entrenching privileges more securely.  Think of it,first and foremost as an
assembly line for building credits and selling them, because that's the
essential function that's going on there.  Whatever genuine social education
takes place is not really relevant to that.  When you strip away the
nonsense, every single "reform" in education I've seen has wound up being
about speedups and workloads . . . and whittling away whatever discretionary
room teachers have to do other things in the classroom.

But this is nothing earth-shattering.  It's just a standard observation
about institutions and how they work.

ML