[Marxism] : A disservice to the antiwar movement

Fred Feldman ffeldman at verizon.net
Tue Jul 12 12:17:30 MDT 2011

Eli said:
"Why does ANSWER at its forums and demonstrations ALLOW pro-Gaddafi
speakers (like Cynthia McKinney and Akbar Muhammed) to speak, and not
allow people calling for Gaddafi's ouster to speak? Because the former
are also opposed to the U.S./NATO intervention, whereas the latter, even
if some of them claim to oppose the bombing, objectively (if indirectly)
support it by echoing imperialist rationales for intervention, and
reinforcing them in the minds of Americans, thus INCREASING support for
the intervention, whatever their alleged opposition to it."

I don't like to differ with Eli on the list because he has  sort of
become turned  the Official Marxism List Punching Bag. I am familiar
with this assignment from my SWP days, and my sympathies go to people
who are in that kind of  position. But his latest comments go a bridge
too far, in my opinion.

Sorry Eli, this is tortured and ultra-sectarian reasoning. While you
start out saying that the issue isn't supporting Gadhafi in your
meetings, you end up saying that every one who doesn't and says so
"objectively (if indirectly)" supports the bombing.  That is smearing
with a broad brush.. So the issue isn't supporting Gadhafi but opposing
the war;  but anybody who doesn't support him is supporting the war, so
you can only get in if you support Gadhafi (with or without mentioning
his name).
So Gadhafi, not the war, turns out being the make or break issue that
defines opposing the war. .

Your interpretation of the psychology of the American masses is also
peculiar. You insist that
if people hear a critical word from a single other human being about
Gadhafi,  they are immediately inflamed with militant support for the
bombing, a ground invasion, and whatever it takes to remove him. The
situation here isn't very good right now, but it definitely is not that bad.

In fact, even in this case, antiwar sentiment is building among people
in this country, mostly among people who don't have a nice word to say
about Gadhafi and don't really know much about Libya.

Your position makes no sense except as sectarian exclusion and, if you
take it seriously and insist on it,  you will be out of any antiwar
united front., which in your view of this matter would consist mostly of
supporters of the war.

This is my fifth and last post for today.