[Marxism] Chavs:The Demonization of the Working Class

Paul Flewers trusscott.foundation at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jul 14 12:38:55 MDT 2011

I've not yet read the book Chavs, but looking at the interviews that
its author has done, he seems to downplay somewhat the fact that the
term was -- it's all become a little passé these days, I've not heard
it used much for a couple of years -- often used by working-class
people about what Marxists call the lumpen-proletariat.

I raised this on the Lenin's Tomb site, along with Marx's rather tart
description of the lumpen-proletariat, only to be told by the site's
proprietor that the term 'lumpen-proletariat' was not very helpful.
I've always felt that politically-conscious workers often have a very
good idea that the relationship between the working class and the
lumpen-proletariat is by no means a happy one, and that it has often
been from the latter that the ruling class has recruited its
shock-troops (the SA in Germany, for instance) and strike-breakers, as
it has no sense of working-class consciousness, and can be easily
bought off with a few quid.

Paul F