[Marxism] Israel Shamir on Zizek and the flotilla

Lenin's Tomb leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 14 14:05:41 MDT 2011

On 14/07/2011 20:54, Louis Proyect wrote:

> I agree that Shamir is a creep but this article is alarming:
>
> http://www.counterpunch.org/shamir07142011.html

Shamir isn't just a creep.  He's an out-and-out neo-Nazi antisemite.
Why promote such filth?

If Zizek needs to be attacked over his two-state position on Israel, or
his racism, or his Eurocentrism, or apologia for NATO bombs, etc.,
surely it would be better not to rely on this scumbag?  Apart from
anything else, his 'quotes' are actually not from Zizek but from Mairav
Zonszein, who summarised Zizek's participation at an Israeli activists'
conference in her own words on an obscure website.  Who knows if they're
reliable, or how much she's paraphrasing or adding her own editorial
slant?  None of these comments would especially surprise me from Zizek -
but since he's not actually being quoted, and since the author falsely
imputing those quotes to him is an apologist for white supremacy, it
sort of undermines any critique of Zizek's implicit racist or
imperialist attitudes.