[Marxism] join the human blockade against ALEC in Cincinnati, April 29th!

Mark Mendoza markanarch at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 00:51:03 MDT 2011

The Student Labor Action Project at LSU is organizing with fellow activists
in the Cincinnati, OH area an event to bring attention to the American
Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). If you are not familiar with ALEC it is
an organization made up of corporate representatives (including Wal-Mart,
Exxon-Mobile, and PhRMA) and our state legislators. They meet in secret and
write “model legislation” that our legislators then work to pass in their
home states.

Some examples of ALEC’s handiwork are the anti-union bills in states like
Wisconsin, Ohio and Indiana as well as the anti-immigrant legislation that
passed in Arizona. ALEC also has a track record of anti-environmentalism and
a history of working against a woman’s right to choose. Unfortunately much
of ALEC’s work is unknown because they do not disclose their model
legislation or much information concerning their membership. They do,
however, boast of their success purporting that in 2009 out of the 826
pieces of legislation their members introduced, 115 were enacted into law.

Our demonstration in New Orleans on August 5th, during ALEC’s annual summit,
is meant to bring attention to this often-unmentioned collusion of corporate
interests and the state. The message we hope to convey is that in order to
not only fight back against these attacks on working families but also to
strike forward a new path of progress for the working people we must begin
to form a united front of pro-worker interests that can offer a viable and
independent political movement of the working class. Union busting and
backroom dealings are not a red state phenomenon, and President Trumka of
the AFL-CIO is beginning to lead the unions in recognizing this.

We must support this push for an independent political movement of the
workers, and actively organize for it.

For more information on our event please visit our website, protestalec.org,
and for more on SLAP LSU you can visit http://sites.google.com/site/slaplsu.

In solidarity,

Mark Mendoza

key resources