[Marxism] US recognition of Libya opposition opens possible $30 billion in assets

Fred Feldman ffeldman at verizon.net
Sat Jul 16 07:57:59 MDT 2011

The move frees the United States to provide the assets to the opposition
as the administration pleases, in exchange for full cooperation with US
and US-led NATO objectives. The access the opposition will now have to
the assets, for a price, will further tear away at the remaining shreds
of independence of the so-called "revolutionary" movement. All these
supposedly noble deeds of Washington and allies were typical elements of
an imperialist war drive against a nation in this broad Arab-Islamic
region (from Morocco to Pakistan, so far) in the name of ridding the
world of "evil dictators."

It can be argued that many of the assets were in fact stolen by Libyan
government officials and other Libyan capitalists. The likelihood that
this is true is completely beside the point. The seizing of the Libyan
assets was an act of war and plunder by US imperialism against Libya and
its independence and sovereignty. As with the unseating of Libya's
representatives in the UN, the arms embargo, the UN resolution, the no
fly zone -- all these moves were typical of imperialist war drives
supposedly aimed against "evil dictators" in an "arc of instability"
stretching from Morocco to Pakistan

All these moves should be opposed in this case and in any coming war
against an "evil dictator" or yet another semicolonial "Hitler."

Washington's opening to sharing these assets with the opposition should
help to overcome ny traces of independence or human solidarity among the
opposition's leadership -- more of whom now have a shot at getting into
the recomposing Libyan ruling class through obedience to US-NATO
demands. Making the assets available to the opposition is a deliberate
act of corruption by Washington.

I'm going to express two opinions that I can't claim are final since I
am not close enough to the situation to say with certainty. I don't
believe that there is a revolution taking place in Libya today,. As far
as I can see, reaction has regained control on all sides of the
situation, in contrast to the early phases of the war when the masses
were able to act for a time. As an obvious corollary, I do not regard
Libya as part of the Arab spring and do not believe that there would be
anything progressive about the fall of Gadhafi under the existing
circumstances (allowing that some totally new element of mass action
could enter the scene, which nobody expects at present.
I think the "Arab Spring" in Libya has been defeated for now, partly by
the Gadhafi's repression but much more so by the consequences of the
imperialist war, as well as the opposition's support for and
subordination to the imperialist war..

Obviously, under these circumstances I do not advocate slogans "Down
with Gadhafi!" or "Victory to the Rebels!" today. I believe that
whatever the obviously antiwar intentions of those who raise these
slogans, they are logically contradictory to demanding the end of NATO
bombing and other warlike intervention (including the seizure of the
assets).

(It goes without saying that I am completely opposed to such slogans as
part of the platform of an antiwar coalition since that would exclude
any opponent of the war with a different view, including myself.)

I consider the defeat of the imperialists in Libya as the lesser evil,
even if that means that the Gadhafi regime remains in power for however
long or that the opposition military force is defeated.

The Libyan people will rise again but, today, that is the hope and
expectation of the future, not the situation at present.
Fred Feldman

U.S. Will Recognize Libyan Rebels
Move clears the way for group to gain access to nation's $30 billion in
frozen assets.
By Christina Gossmann | Posted Friday, Jul. 15, 2011, at 3:05 PM EDT

The U.S. will formally recognized Libya’s rebels as the country’s
legitimate government, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announced Friday.

The move comes after roughly five months of fighting by the group to
oust Libyan strongmanuammar Qaddafi, and opens the door for the rebels
to access some of the nation’s $30 billion in assets that have been
frozen by the U.S. government.

“I am announcing today that, until an interim authority is in place, the
United States will recognize the TNC as the legitimate governing
authority for Libya, and we will deal with it on that basis,” Clinton
said, referring to the rebels’ Transitional National Council, according
to the Washington Post.

France, Germany and Italy have previously formally recognized Libya’s
rebel group as the country’s legitimate government.

"It's a strong signal of support for the NTC and reflects the growing
consensus that it is increasingly competent, is reaching out to Libyan
people across the country and reinforces the point that Gaddafi must
go," a Foreign Office spokesperson told the Guardian.

Photo by Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty Images.