[Marxism] Marxism and Keynesianism

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jul 18 10:43:48 MDT 2011

Over the past month, the Crooked Timber blog (referred to below as
CT) has posted three attacks on Marxism by John Quiggin, an
Australian economist who I have a particular distaste for after he
deleted something I wrote about Yugoslavia that went against the
liberal/social democratic orientation of the blog’s professorial
co-owners five years ago.

The first installment was titled Marxism without revolution: class
that makes about as much sense as writing about Christianity
without god or Opera without singing. It is basically a
Panglossian vision of the world in tune with the privileged status
of a don: “The creation of a democratic welfare state, funded
primarily by progressive taxation, produced societies with a more
equal distribution of economic and political power than any seen
since the emergence of agriculture, and with better standards of
living for virtually everyone in the developed world.” Who needs
revolution when things are going so good? Since Quiggin has never
written a single word about people living in places like the Congo
or the Philippines, one can understand his fat and jolly burgher
stance.

full:
http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2011/07/18/marxism-and-keynesianism/