[Marxism] Hunter Bear on Jake Rosen

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 22 08:04:21 MDT 2011

(Jake was Milt Rosen's younger brother. Back in 1967, when I was
shopping around for a left group to join, I went to a talk given by Jake
in his living room in Washington Heights. I was impressed with all the
talk about the "dictatorship of the proletariat" and so on but decided
to join the SWP because it was the backbone of the antiwar movement,
something that had paramount importance for me.)

Checking out my "favorites" list early this morning, I noted on Marxmail
the passing of Milt Rosen, long identified with the Progressive Labor
tendency -- a Maoist split from the American CP.
http://www.marxmail.org/msg93779.html

As I indicated in a post awhile back responding to some good points by
Sam,  I never had a problem working with most CPs and principled ex-CPs
in common cause.  I kept the "Russian Question" on a far back burner and
didn't fret much one way or the other about that.  The CP people I knew
were mostly very hardworking and effective union staffers who drew very
modest salaries -- or thoughtfully creative writers and other
artist-types.  I didn't know many people of Trotskyist background but
had no problem with them [e.g., I was on the letterhead of the Committee
to Aid the Monroe Defendants, headed by the good Berta Green of SWP.]

For a number of reasons, it would be impossible for me to get too close
to Maoism.

I never knew  Milt Rosen -- but I did have a little contact with Jake
Rosen, his younger brother  -- and also a PL leader.  In late August,
1963, and the brand new SCEF [Southern Conference Educational Fund]
field organizer, we arrived in North Carolina to set up a base at
Raleigh.  We stopped at Chapel Hill to see the Zunes family, which we
knew from Tougaloo [Stephen was then about eight], and via them met an
elderly Episcopal priest, Father Parker. [A few months later, he and I
shared a jail cell together with other arrestees, including JV Henry and
Buddy Tieger, in the Chapel Hill demonstrations.]

We had no sooner moved into our home in a modest all-Black residential
area on the edges of Raleigh, when Father Parker arrived with a young
man -- even younger than I -- named John Salter.  He was an Anglo from
South Carolina, was PL, had been to Cuba, and was dodging a HUAC [House
Un-American Activities Committee] subpoena.  Father Parker wondered if
we'd be willing to hide him out at our house for a few days.  We were
certainly glad to do so and while the FBI and US Marshals whirled around
the Raleigh setting, the "other" John Salter was safely within our
modest home eating Eldri's bountiful fare.  He was a likeable guy [and
eventually , much later, became a Quaker and an anthropologist, doing
good work with an Indian tribe.]  When the Federal heat had waned, I
took him late one night to the railroad station where, under an assumed
name, he went north to Massachusetts.  HUAC never got him.

A few months later, about a dozen PLers arrived at our door, led by Jake
Rosen.  They were  trying to build a base in long embattled Monroe
County, NC -- scene of armed  Black resistance to Klan attacks a few
years before [Rob Williams, Mae Mallory et al.]  The PLers were all
Anglos, most very young, and Jake Rosen did virtually all of the
talking.  It was an implicitly strained meeting, there in our small
living room.  Rosen struck me as a rather "tight" and humorless fellow
-- trying to gauge my precise ideological perspective. [No one,
including myself, has ever been able to do that.]  At one point he said,
rather desperately, "My parents know Irving Dichter."  This was a
reference to the very sharp and creative International Secretary
Treasure of Mine-Mill.  I nodded very approvingly.  They eventually left
--  almost as small herd, guided by their shepherd.

Jake came to a small SCEF staff meeting in Louisville.  I developed a
tooth ache and, to his credit, he offered to drive me to a dentist.  But
our junket in his car was marked by the smallest of small talk.  He was
one of the few people I've met where no common spark survived.  In
contrast we were always glad to see George Meyers, the CP labor
secretary who occasionally came south and stayed for the night at our
Safe House.  From Baltimore, he was an avid gardener and he and Eldri
often talked far into the night about that.  He also had a sense of humor.

And, of course, all sorts of activists of various persuasions came by
and touched base.  But Jake and his group never tried us again.

Fight on,

Hunter Bear