[Marxism] Latest on Aaron Swartz

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jul 25 10:54:33 MDT 2011

On 7/25/2011 12:45 PM, michael perelman wrote:

> What does affordable mean?  JSTOR is a wonderful service, but it is
> expensive.  Can an individual afford it or even buy it?
> JSTOR began as an effort of a library to reduce the physical volume of
> its journals.  I asked before about how profitable it is, not for
> shareholders, but for the people who run it?

You can see the aversion to information sharing even for
institutions like Columbia University that pays to keep Jstor
going. Whenever I am working on an article that has a citation
from Jstor, I cannot copy and paste it. All articles are in a pdf
format but one that does not allow copying and pasting. It is
really quite frustrating even though I am grateful to have access
to it.