[Marxism] 30 for 40

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jul 26 12:15:51 MDT 2011

Under the menace of its own disintegration, the proletariat cannot
permit the transformation of an increasing section of the workers
into chronically unemployed paupers, living off the slops of a
crumbling society. The right to employment is the only serious
right left to the worker in a society based upon exploitation.
This right today is left to the worker in a society based upon
exploitation. This right today is being shorn from him at every
step. Against unemployment, “structural” as well as
“conjunctural,” the time is ripe to advance along with the slogan
of public works, the slogan of a sliding scale of working hours.
Trade unions and other mass organizations should bind the workers
and the unemployed together in the solidarity of mutual
responsibility. On this basis all the work on hand would then be
divided among all existing workers in accordance with how the
extent of the working week is defined. The average wage of every
worker remains the same as it was under the old working week.
Wages, under a strictly guaranteed minimum, would follow the
movement of prices. It is impossible to accept any other program
for the present catastrophic period.

Leon Trotsky, "The Transitional Program"

http://www.julietschor.org/2011/06/counter-intuition-101-why-recent-bad-economic-news-means-its-time-for-working-less/

Counter-intuition 101: why recent bad economic news means it’s
time for working less

The economic news of the last few weeks has not been encouraging.
In Europe, the various national debt crises remain unresolved,
with a continued monopoly of banker-friendly austerity programs,
and their predictable consequences of rising unemployment and
stagnation. Debtor countries are being forced into the same
financial orthodoxies that prolonged the depression of the 1920s
and 30s, so we shouldn’t be surprised at the failures they will
bring. More recession may also be the future of the countries
enforcing these once-discredited policies, as weak demand across
the region represses consumer demand, investor confidence, and
government spending. In the United States the details are
different, but the main story is the same. The country is
experiencing continuing mass unemployment (25 million Americans
remain unemployed or underemployed), further collapse in the
housing market and an extremist political movement determined to
slash all government spending directed at the people who are most
likely to spend: the poor, the unemployed, and the middle classes.
The outlook among wealthy countries is for more economic
“weakness,” a conclusion supported by the plummeting stock markets
of recent weeks.

Protecting bankers’ and creditors’ interests above all else is
foolish economic policy. It enriches one group of people at the
expense of nearly everyone else. But these days, it’s hard to get
a hearing for the view that the wealthy countries remain wealthy,
that we can solve our economic problems without making most people
worse off, and that we can also do it while addressing the much
larger challenge we face: climate change and growing ecological
devastation.

So what’s the alternative to slashing government programs, budget
cutting, and more concentrated wealth at the top? The centerpiece
of a new approach is to re-structure the labor market by reducing
hours of work. That may seem counter-intuitive in a period when
the mainstream message is that we are poorer than ever and have to
work harder. But the historical record suggests it’s a smart move
that will create what economists call a triple dividend: three
positive outcomes from one policy innovation.

The first benefit of hours reductions is a significant reduction
in unemployment. In the wealthy countries, many of the jobs lost
in the 2008 downturn will not re-appear. The revolution in
information technology has made many jobs unnecessary, raised
labor productivity, and undermined a good swathe of the labor
market, as firms introduce radical technological and product
innovation. (And some of the jobs are being created in low wage
countries.) This is familiar territory, as it has been occurring
since the 19th century. The buggy and barrel makers are long gone.
Toll takers and the workers in DVD factories are on their way out.
So too are household tax accountants and retail check-out clerks.

Historically, market economies have absorbed this displaced labor
in two ways. The first is the creative of jobs in new industries
making new products. The 20th century brought automobile workers,
higher education administrators and medical personnel. But new
jobs, spurred on by growth in GDP, are only half the story. The
other mechanism for maintaining balance in the labor market has
always been reductions in hours of work. Without the advances of a
shorter workweek, vacation time, earlier retirement and later
labor force entrance, the economies of the OECD would never have
attained the “golden age” of high employment that prevailed after
the1930s depression. Between 1870 and 1970, hours of work fell
roughly in half. These countries have re-balanced the labor market
by re-distributing work to make its allocation fairer. We need
shorter hours because it is unrealistic to count on growth in GDP
to absorb all this current and future “surplus” labor. Rich
countries just never grow that rapidly. So the austerity economics
that says work longer and retire later has it exactly wrong.

But even if GDP growth could solve the unemployment problem, it
shouldn’t, because the cost in GHG emissions is prohibitive. North
America and Europe have already blown their carbon budgets and
until we re-structure energy systems, growth isn’t reconcilable
with responsible emissions levels. Here too shorter hours of work
provide a dividend. They are associated with lower ecological and
carbon footprints. Countries that work more pollute more. That
both because their scale of production is larger (the GDP effect)
and because time-stressed households and societies do things in
more carbon intensive ways than societies in which time is more
abundant. Longer hours of work lead people to travel, eat, and
live faster-paced lives, which in turn require more energy.

The third benefit of shorter hours is the time itself. As a
growing movement of “downshifters” attests, short hour lifestyles
allow people to build stronger social connections, maintain their
physical and mental health, and engage in activities that are
creative and meaningful. Time is especially valuable in rich
countries where material needs can be met for everyone, and
deprivation is caused by mal-distribution of income and wealth.

So that’s the triple dividend: reduce unemployment, cut carbon
emissions, and give people quality of life. Austerity economics
says we can’t afford to work less. A serious reading of our
economic history suggests we can’t afford not to.