[Marxism] WikiLeaks documents shed light on US-backed intervention in Libya

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jul 27 13:14:11 MDT 2011

On 7/27/2011 2:59 PM, Tristan Sloughter wrote:

> http://www.wsws.org/articles/2011/jul2011/wiki-j27.shtml
>
> While showing the tensions between the US and Libya the leaks also show the
> tensions between Gaddafi's regime and the East. But I thought there were no
> poor in Libya and everyone loved Gaddafi... *sarcasm*
>
> "A February 2008 cable refers to a reportedly deliberate Libyan government
> policy to “keep the east poor as a means by which to limit the potential
> political threat to Qadhafi’s regime,” which led “many young eastern Libyan
> men” to believe they had “nothing to lose by participating in extremist
> violence at home” and against US forces in Iraq."

One of the worst things about the crackdown on Wikileaks and
Julian Assange is the failure to maintain some kind of portal so
that an item like this can be followed up. When I did a google
search, I could only find articles that referred to the leaked
cables but not the cables themselves.

Of course, the main point being made in the wsws.org article is
that the West went to war with Libya because Qaddafi was trying to
exact too many concessions from Western oil companies. Well, of
course they would complain about any such demands but the key
question is whether intervention would have occurred without a
revolt that began in Benghazi. Most assuredly, it would have not.
This inconvenient truth forces the pro-Qaddafi left to write off
the revolt as hatched in the back rooms of French spy dens, etc.