[Marxism] Forwarded from Anthony Galluzzo

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jul 27 15:45:14 MDT 2011

(Anthony, you included the entire digest in your post, thus exceeding
our byte limit. Please remember to only post your own message next time,
and any selected text that you might be replying to.)

I'm an English professor who has found himself, through the vagaries
of the academic job "market," teaching at  West Point, despite my
views. I'm set to teach what the department there deems an upper level
composition course, ostensibly organized around another national
culture; as if this weren't problematic in itself, past objects of
study include Iran, China, and now--incredibly--Cuba. This is a kind
of cultural targeting class in other words. I am slated to teach this
class (despite having a background in English as opposed to Spanish,
Latin American, or Caribbean Literature), and I've been told I'll have
considerable latitude in crafting the syllabus (going to put this
promise to the test). I want to teach a class that is sympathetic to
the revolution, and which incorporates a Marxist perspective on both
pre- and post-revolutionary Cuba. Any suggestions?