[Marxism] WikiLeaks documents shed light on US-backed intervention in Libya

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 27 23:27:28 MDT 2011

"A February 2008 cable refers to a reportedly deliberate Libyan government
policy to ³keep the east poor as a means by which to limit the potential
political threat to Qadhafi¹s regime,²

This kind of "analysis" reflects a common problem with Wikileaks. People
think Wikileaks is some kind of secret source of the "truth." It isn't. It's
a secret source of *U.S. Government documents.* This isn't a secret Libyan
government document revealing "deliberate Libyan government policy," it is
the opinion of some U.S. Diplomat, based on who-knows-what source of
information (for all we know, some of those who would become rebels).

Need I remind people of the famous Michael Moore incident, where a Wikileaks
cable claimed that the Cuban government was so offended by Moore's "Sicko"
that it had banned it, whereas in actual fact it had been shown on Cuban TV?

Just because something is "Wikileaked" doesn't make it true.

Eli Stephens
 Left I on the News
 http://lefti.blogspot.com