[Marxism] Class Dismissed

johnedmundson at paradise.net.nz johnedmundson at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jul 28 03:23:35 MDT 2011

Well you may be right Manuel - I haven't read anything by Marsh other than this
interview so I don't really know what he meant by that statement. I am
interested in the question though, especially as I'm currently training to be a
secondary school teacher so hope to be working in the classroom from next year
(if I can get a job . . .)

I'm acutely aware of the debate over race in terms of educational performance
and want to be able to stay true in my teaching once they let me loose. It's a
big deal where I live, with lots of programmes for improving achievement in
multi-cultural (read 'poor') schools, students from minority groups etc. A lot
of hat thes programmes do is good. But I am skeptical about the way that
education is touted as the solution in an economy that can't provide jobs for
all, let alone good jobs. Sure, for some individuals, it will be the passport to
a better life, and the government would love to be able to count more people
from minority groups amongst its successes. But I don't intend to be part of
some machine trying to dupe students into believing that doing well at school
will be some kind of cure-all.
Cheers,
John