[Marxism] South Sudan 'Independence Day'- Anybody Celebrating it just yet?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jul 28 07:31:09 MDT 2011

On 7/27/2011 10:28 PM, Pinchy Way wrote:

> South Sudan Nuer International Advocacy for Human Rights
> (SSNIAHR) Public Statement July, 25, 2011 The South Sudan Nuer
> International Advocacy for Human Rights (SSNIAHR) calls upon
> the United Mission in Sudan (UNMISS) to observe its mandate to
> protect the civil population from the SPLA.

Look at this moron troll trying to set me up as a supporter of the
MPLA after I recommended to the list that they read something I
had written that contained this estimate of the MPLA:

After independence in 1956, Khartoum's government tended to
reflect the strong Arab nationalist dynamic that was at work
throughout North Africa and the Middle East. When mixed with a
"modernizing" sensibility of intellectuals and technocrats of a
leftwing or CP background in the government, the net result was a
mixture of paternalism and progressive attitudes directed toward
the sub-Saharan sections of the country. Instead of sending
Christian missionaries into the south as the British had done,
they sent in Islamic preachers, opened Koranic schools and made
Arabic mandatory. Such national and religious chauvinism led to
the first revolt, which was led by the Anyanya, a guerrilla group
who took their name from snake venom obtained by grinding up cobra
heads.

Like the Kurds of Iraq, whose cause was also just and for many of
the same reasons, the Sudanese rebels often chose unsavory allies.
A 1964 CIA-backed revolt by Moise Tshombe in the Congo was opposed
by leftist governments throughout the region, including Sudan's.
After Tshombe defeated his opponents within the country, he
decided to aid the enemies of his enemies, in this case the
Anyanya. Eventually, another US client--Haile Selassie's
Ethiopia--threw its support behind the Sudanese rebels as well.
The largely Christian and Francophile government of Chad joined in
as well and opened up its borders to the Anyanya.

Not surprisingly, such pressures had the effect of eroding the
revolutionary fiber of the Khartoum government. As leftists became
less prominent in the government, a solution based on respect for
the aspirations of the south faded as well. The next phase of the
conflict began in 1983 under the auspices of Jaafar Nimeiri, a
military leader who had seized power in 1969. At this point, the
Anyanya were superseded by the SPLA, which was under the
leadership of John Garang, a southerner who had been an officer in
the Sudanese army. During a repressive raid against the south, he
switched sides and encouraged other garrisons to revolt against
the north. He is every bit as unprincipled and corrupt as the
current leadership of the Kurds in Iraq.

full: http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/culture/LostBoys.htm