[Marxism] Did Qaddafi’s demand for reparations lead to war?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 29 11:02:15 MDT 2011

Last Wednesday an article titled “Lies of the Libyan War” by
Thomas Mountain appeared on Counterpunch. My first reaction, even
before reading it, was to wonder if Mountain was involved with a
little bit of Freudian projection since most of what he writes
about Libya is bullshit. But I was not prepared for this tidbit:

	What seem to have finally tipped the balance in favor of direct
western military intervention was the reported demand by Gadaffi
that the USA oil companies who have long been major players in the
Libyan petroleum industry were going to have to compensate Libya
to the tune of tens of billions of dollars for the damage done to
the Libyan economy by the USA instigated “Lockerbie Bombing”
sanctions imposed by the UN inSecurity Council throughout the
1990′s into early 2000′s. This is based on the unearthing of
evidence that the CIA paid millions of dollars to witnesses in the
Lockerbie Bombing trial to change their stories to implicate Libya
which was used as the basis for the very damaging UN sanctions
against Libya. The government of the USA lied and damaged Libya so
the USA oil companies were going to have to pay up to cover the
cost of their governments [sic] actions. Not hard to see why
Gadaffi had to go isn’t it?

My first reaction upon reading this was to ask myself where the
“demand” was first “reported” because past experience has taught
me that Mountain is not averse to making things up just like Jon
Lovitz used to do on SNL.

full:
http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2011/07/29/did-qaddafis-demand-for-reparations-lead-to-war/