[Marxism] Did Qaddafi¹s demand for reparations lead to war?

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 29 12:31:55 MDT 2011

Tristan asks: "Where does Lindauer get this poverty level of 5%?"

I have no idea the answer to that specific question, but Wikipedia (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Libya ) gives a figure of 7.6%, not
far off from 5%. Their source of information for that particular statistic
isn't clear, although there are numerous statistics and numerous sources in
the article, any one of which may be the original source of that number.

As for the other question of whether Gaddafi demanded reparations for the
damage done to the Libyan economy by the Lockerbie sanctions, just because
it hasn't been reported in the corporate media doesn't mean it didn't
happen, as we all know. Perhaps we'll be reading about it next year in a
Wikileaked cable. We DO know that in the past, Gaddafi has demanded $7
billion reparations from Europe for Africa for the effects of colonialism (
http://www.democracynow.org/2009/9/24/headlines#4 ), and has actually been
paid $5 billion reparations by Italy (well, they agreed to pay anyway;
whether they have done I don't know) for the same reason (
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/31/world/africa/31libya.html ). So the idea
that Gaddafi would be demanding reparations for something else is hardly
shocking.

Eli Stephens
 Left I on the News
 http://lefti.blogspot.com