[Marxism] Wall Street protest 8/2/11: Don’t take one cent from the people!

jay rothermel jayrothermel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 20:53:55 MDT 2011

General Assembly Aug. 2 call ’Stop the bull, then occupy Wall Street’ By Dee
Knight
New York
 Published Jul 29, 2011 8:24 AM

Organizers of the three-week-long Bloombergville encampment in New York
during June and July are calling for a General Assembly on Wall Street Aug.
2 to launch a campaign against the debt ceiling deal due that day.

In their call for the General Assembly, New Yorkers Against Budget Cuts
said: “National politicians are using the Aug. 2 deadline on raising the
debt ceiling as an excuse to attack social programs we are entitled to by
law — Social Security, food stamps, Medicare/Medicaid, and so on. In the
midst of massive and growing joblessness, and increased homelessness, the
president and Congress are hatching an agreement to swap massive cuts to
such social programs for meager new tax revenues.”

NYABC asks, “Is this really necessary? We say stop the wars and cut the war
budget! Tax the rich and close the corporate tax loopholes! Make the bankers
pay!”

NYABC will assemble in the triangle near the bull sculpture on Broadway just
south of Wall Street. A short rally will give those affected by cuts in
Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, food stamps and other federally — funded
programs a chance to speak their minds. The group will deliver notice to
Wall Street of plans for a large-scale occupation beginning Sept. 17.

Organizers emphasize that the Aug. 2 action is just the beginning of a
citywide campaign-part of a national effort-to resist and defeat the brutal
assault on people’s needs and legal rights the Washington deal signifies.
Members of New York public-sector unions plan to contact active and retired
members, emphasizing that the threats to Social Security amount to theft of
lifetimes of workers’ wages. As the call says, “cutting Medicare for seniors
and Medicaid for the poorest people would only further impoverish people and
add to deteriorating health conditions for all.”

The campaign will reach out to people who depend on Social Security and
Medicare/Medicaid, encouraging them to fight the cuts, and to join with
others, especially youth, who are being robbed and betrayed by the
Washington deal. NYABC says, “Youth face grim prospects — a choice between
going to war, prison, or an endless search for non-existent jobs. We demand
a real future!”

*Don’t take one cent from the people!*

Responding to politicians’ talk of “cutting back entitlements,” NYABC says,
“What’s an ‘entitlement’? Something that belongs to us by law! Social
Security is part of our wages, deducted from every paycheck. We pay for
Medicare, Medicaid, SSI, food stamps, and all the rest with our taxes. Even
the money the government has used to bail out the banks comes from our
paychecks. We have a right to demand that the money be used to invest in
jobs, education, health care and infrastructure — not bankers’ speculation.”

NYABC says Social Security “is not broke. There is $2.6 trillion in the
Social Security trust fund — enough to fund the system for decades. If the
fund really needs more money, the government can lift the cap on the
highest-paid people and make all their salaries subject to Social Security
deductions. Now they pay only on the first $107,000 earned each year. Also,
in order to really replenish the fund, reduce the retirement age and
increase benefits, and put the millions of unemployed back to work and raise
wages. That would instantly solve any hypothetical financial problems of
Social Security.”

The government refuses to tax the rich while giving bailouts to the banks.
NYABC asks “What are the banks doing with our money — mostly speculating in
foreign currency. They claim they need tax breaks to create jobs. They’re
not creating jobs. But they are stuffing their bank accounts. In 2010 the
top 500 CEOs paid themselves an average of $11.4 million each — a 23-percent
increase over 2009. Meanwhile, workers’ wages are declining. Unemployment is
rising. Hunger and homelessness are increasing.”

The NYABC call concludes “This deal will bring suffering and hardship so the
bankers get paid interest on their bonds. Enough already! Tell Wall Street
and the bankers no! Workers need a massive government jobs program. We need
housing and an end to foreclosures and evictions.

We need an end to the assault on education, health care and pensions. And we
need an end to oppression and war!

For more information, contact New Yorkers Against Budget Cuts at
www.nocutsny.wordpress.com or email LaborCommunityForum at gmail.com.