[Marxism] How bright is East Timor's new future as capitalist neo-colony of Australia?

Pinchy Way pinchyway1 at aol.com
Sat Jul 30 01:45:05 MDT 2011

I never thought I would stand in a battery-chicken farm and think, what impressive progress!. But however unpleasant for the birds - cooped up, two to a shoe-box sized wire cage - its owners show off the Railaco farm with pride.    Its eggs are replacing ones that would otherwise have been brought in from abroad; it employs people and operates for profit. It is an East Timorese business success story.

They are becoming more common. Tony Jape - East Timorese but of Chinese descent and fresh from a fortune made as an émigré in Australia - is building the country’s first ever shopping centre.
Though still not quite finished, it is, he says, already 60 per cent let. And Timor Corp - one of the country’s two big coffee producers - is proud it exports beans right around the world.  These are little examples of a country whose economy is flying: a poor place, recently ravaged by conflict, it now has one of the fastest growing economies in the world.....

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/asia/2011/07/27/east-timor-why-economy-key

My first thought was Whooppeee!   I'm absolutely thrilled!    The future never looked so good!    So I went to some other web sites to see just how the new economy in East Timor is being made?   And just what does the Australian government have to do with all this good news?
Highlights of this relationship are below....
East Timor country brief
Australia and East Timor have a very close relationship, based on proximity and close people-to-people links. Australia was in the front-line of support for East Timor's transition to independence and continues to play a very important role, including through the provision of extensive development and security assistance.
Introduction
East Timor's population of around 1.1 million is among the fastest growing in the world, with an estimated average growth rate of 3.2 per cent between 2005 and 2010. The official languages are Tetum and Portuguese, while English and Indonesian are working languages. Approximately 95 per cent of East Timorese are Catholic.....
....Bilateral relationship
The Australian people have a special affinity with East Timor stretching back many decades. Australia was in the front-line of support for East Timor's transition to independence. Australia led the multinational INTERFET force which restored security in East Timor following the 1999 post-independence ballot violence. Australia also leads the ISF, which deployed to East Timor at the request of its government to help restore stability following the unrest in 2006. Following the events of 11 February 2008, the Australian Government deployed additional soldiers and police under the ISF. These additional forces have now been withdrawn. The ISF remains in East Timor at the invitation of the East Timorese Government and in support of UNMIT. As the security situation has improved, with the agreement of the East Timorese Government, force numbers have gradually declined.
East Timor is benefiting from the commercial exploitation of petroleum resources in the Joint Petroleum Development Area (JPDA) in the Timor Sea, which are shared with Australia. Australia and East Timor have three treaties between them that govern maritime arrangements in the Timor Sea. The Treaty on Certain Maritime Arrangements in the Timor Sea, which entered into force on 23 February 2007, sets aside the question of maritime boundaries and jurisdiction between the two Parties for the life of the treaty. The treaties allow for the exploration and exploitation of petroleum resources in the JPDA for the benefit of both countries....
...The East Timorese Government is developing a Strategic Development Plan, which is intended to provide a 20-year framework for development.
.....Exploration also continues in East Timor’s exclusive areas. East Timor's economy is one of the most heavily petroleum-dependent in the world. The East Timorese Government is seeking to use its oil revenues in support of long-term economic development, economic diversification and poverty reduction. East Timor has established an internationally-acclaimed Petroleum Fund to manage its petroleum revenues transparently and sustainably. As at 30 September 2010, the fund was valued at US$6.6 billion.
http://www.dfat.gov.au/geo/east_timor/east_timor_brief.html

Just like Puerto Rico eventually became a showpiece of US interventionism in the Americas, it appears that East Timor will soon become Australia's showpiece for its interventionism just off the Australian and Indonesian coasts!

Business & Economy
Banking and Payments Authority of Timor-Leste
BPA's primary objective is the regulation of the monetary and financial system of the country.

Timor Invest
Timor-Leste Macau Office Website for investment.

Petroleum companies investing in Timor-Leste
ConocoPhillips
The lead investing company developing the Bayu-Undan oil and gas field which lies wholly within the Timor Sea Treaty Area.
Woodside Australian Energy
The lead investing company which expects to develop the Greater Sunrise field.
Shell
A member of the Greater Sunrise partnership.
Osaka Gas
Member of the Greater Sunrise Partnership.

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/timor_leste.htm

"The East Timor Now campaign is a call to action to Australians to get behind and support East Timor on its road to full economic independence. Our aim is to promote tourism, trade, investment, donation and volunteering in East Timor."

"Like many Australians, I have watched with pride and a growing affection for East Timor the work of Australian peacekeepers in helping the country to move forward after many years of great challenge. I have also been moved by the stories of the people throughout the years of struggle, and the strong humanitarian contribution Australians have made in so many ways.

Back in January 2009, I was privileged to spend the best part of a day talking with Prime Minister Xanana Gusmão in Dili about the ways in which Do Something could assist this wonderful country.

Do Something's East Timor Now campaign is a result of that meeting. We want to help raise the flag for this fascinating, culturally rich new nation - a country with untold potential - as we mark the 10th anniversary of its historic vote for independence. Our campaign is a call to action to Australians to get behind and support East Timor on its road to full economic independence. Our aim is to promote tourism, trade, investment, donation and volunteering in East Timor....
http://easttimornow.com.au/who-we-are/the-etn-campaign.aspx.

The future looks great!