[Marxism] LA's Running Down the Walls/ Carrera Contra los Muros

John A Imani johnaimani at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 30 14:35:47 MDT 2011

Running Down the Walls 2011

When: Sunday, July 31st, 2011, 10 am - 1 pm

Where: MacArthur Park, (south west corner), 2230 W. 6th St., Los Angeles, CA 90057

On Sunday, July 31st, 2011 at 10 a.m., the Los Angeles Anarchist Black Cross will host a 5k run/walk/jog/bike around the festive paths of MacArthur Park, Los Angeles. This run/walk/jog/bike is designed to raise much-needed funds for the ABCF Warchest program, and Revolutionary Autonomous Communities (RAC).

We are attempting to reach the goal of $3,500 with the run. Funds will be divided between the two programs:

ABCF Warchest:

The ABCF Warchest program is now almost 17 years old; funds for the Warchest are divided and distributed through monthly stipends to political prisoners who receive little or no financial aid. Prisoners use this money to cover the basic necessities of everyday living. These funds have been used by prisoners to pay for stamps, shoes, clothes, as well as assisting their families with what little they can.

Revolutionary Autonomous Communities (RAC):

In the aftermath of the May Day 2007 police riot targeting migrant workers who dared stand up for our human rights, members of the MacArthur Park area and others joined together to support those with no papers and those with no means. RAC-LA came forward to aid the community in self-organizing such that with the help of each other we might make an inhuman way of living a bit more bearable while at same time acquiring the means to one day transform this system into an image of our own humanity.

Solidarity Runs:

Every year, prisoners and supporters of political prisoners organize solidarity runs with Running Down the Walls. In Sync with each other, we will collectively pound the pavement with our feet and bike tires as we exhibit our strength and stamina as examples of our tireless effort to free our imprisoned comrades. In past years we had runs in: Albuquerque (NM), Arcata (CA), Ashland, (OR), Bellefonte (PA), Boston (MA), Connecticut River, Dannemora (NY), Denver, (CO), Detroit (MI), Elmore (AL), Guelph (CAN), Inez (KY), Los Angeles (CA), Marion (IL), Mexico City (MEX), New York City (NY), USP. Navosta (TX), Pelican Bay (CA), Phoenix (AZ), Sandstone (MN), Tucson (AZ), USP Tucson (AZ), and Toronto (CAN)

Raising Funds:

The Warchest program was created in November of 1994. Its purpose is to send monthly financial support to Political Prisoners and Prisoners of War (PP/POWs) who have been receiving insufficient, little, or no financial support during their imprisonment.

Support the Struggle:

We must remember that many of those arrested in the past or present are not far from us. Many of them were and are community and labor activists, queer, and environmental activists; people who decided to speak out against various forms of oppression and paid the price of their freedom for their actions. We must remember that anyone of these people could have at one time stood beside us in a demonstration, at a speak-out, or even at an organizing meeting. At any given moment it could be us who finds ourselves in this situation, so it is imperative that we ensure that a strong enough community of support exists for these people as well as ourselves. The strength of our movement is determined by how much we support our fallen comrades. As Anarchist and former POW Ojore Lutalo says, "Any Movement that does not support its political internees, is a sham movement." So please help us, help them! Help us help you!

We encourage people to participate in helping us raise funds for the Warchest, which can be done in the following ways:

Be a runner:

We are asking people or groups who are running to collect as many sponsor for the run as possible. Remember the money received is going to help imprisoned comrades who need your help. The person who collects the most amount of funds will be given a prize for their involvement and dedication to helping our fallen comrades.

Sponsor a runner:

This can be done through a flat donation to the runner of your choice, each flyer is a sponsor sheet. We ask from those who wish not to run to actively support those who are running in hopes of collecting as much for our comrades as possible.

Sponsor Running Down the Walls:

Any amount helps. Contact the Los Angeles Anarchist Black Cross if you wish to simply donate money to the cause.

Donate to:

-The Warchest:

Send funds directly to the Los Angeles ABCF (PO Box 11223, Whittier, CA 90603) or to the Philadelphia ABCF (PO Box 42129, Philadelphia, PA 19101) Make checks or money orders out only to Tim Fasnacht.

-Revolutionary Autonomous Communities (RAC): http://revolutionaryautonomouscommunities.blogspot.com/

Get involved in the planning of Running Down the Walls:

We always need help with organizing the event and we encourage people to contact us if they would like to get involved. You can do this by contacting the LA Anarchist Black Cross, www.abcf.net/la, la at ...

-Jaan Laaman, UFF Political Prisoner Statement of Solidarity

October 19th 2002 My Brothers,

"Thank you for running at this special event that means so much to many of us all over the world, both free and imprisoned. In a relative way, we are all political prisoners because it is the politics of this system of things that is exploiting, crushing, imprisoning, and destroying the masses all over the world and the earth itself. Then there are those who know this and take actions against those who seek to deny us our rightful place on earth as common human brethren. Those are the ones we run for and seek to help... whom sacrificed their family, freedom and lives, so that our lives may be better! The fact that you ran with us is a sign that when the red-hour comes, you will not be caught asleep. You are conscious and you too are willing to represent. The potential in you is great. Thank you for running for the cause!"

"As we ran we were thinking and talking about all the runners in Los Angeles and how we'd love to be out there running with them. We also spoke about the other political prisoners who were running with us in at least some other prisons."

Running Down the Walls 2011

When: Sunday, July 31st, 2011, 10 am - 1 pm

Where: MacArthur Park, (south west corner), 2230 W. 6th St., Los Angeles, CA 90057

Registration fees: $12 preregistration; $15, the day of the run. (Make checks out to Tim Fasnacht)

Or for paypal:

Log in to your PayPal account and send your donation online to the email address "timABCF at ..." (Tim Fasnacht). Make sure to add in the notes section that your donation is for RDTW 2011. If you'd prefer to stay anonymous or are donating in the name of an organization, let us know.

For more information contact the Los Angeles Branch Group of the Anarchist Black Cross Federation

PO BOX 11223

Whitier, Ca 90603

http://www.abcf.net/la/laabcf.asp?page=la/rdtw

www.abcf.net/la

email: la at abcf.net

Carrera Contra los Muros

CUANDO:

Domingo 31 Julio , 2011, 10 am - 4 pm

DONDE:

MacArthur Park, (sección SurOeste), 2230 W. 6th St., Los Angeles, CA 90057

COSTO DE REGISTRATION:

$12 preregistration; $15, el mismo dia. (Cheques a nombre de Tim Fasnacht)

PRESO POLITICO:
Una persona encarcelada por acciones que apoyan luchas legitimas por auto-suficiencia, o por oponerse a las pólizas ilegales del gobierno o los poderes políticos.
(Tribunal Especial Internacional sobre la Violación de los Derechos Humanos de Presos Políticos y Presos de Guerra en Cárceles de los Estados Unidos. Dic 1990.)

CARRERA CONTRA LOS MUROS:
Domingo 31 de Julio 2011 a las 10am, La Cruz Negra Anarquista de Los Ángeles (ABCF) hará una carrera de 5Km para correr, trotar, caminar, o bicicletear por Downtown LA. Este evento se hace con el fin de recaudar fondos para La Cruz Negra Anarquista y para Comunidades Autónomas Revolucionarias.

RECAUDAR FONDOS:
Nuestra meta para este ano es $3,500. Dinero recaudado sera divido entre:
• El Programa Warchest fue creado en Noviembre 1994. A través de este Programa ABCF manda donaciones mensuales a Presos Políticos y Presos de Guerra quienes han recibido poco o nada de apoyo durante su encarcelamiento. Presos pueden usar estos fondos para pagar las necesidades básicas de vivir. Desde 1994, ABCF ha recaudado mas de $56,000 a través del Programa Warchest.
• Comunidades Autónomas Revolucionarias (RAC): fue creado después del 1 de Mayo 2007 cuando la policía ataco inmigrantes y jornaleros por demandar nuestros derechos humanos. La comunidad del Parque MacArthur se juntaron para apoyar los indocumentados y los pobres. RAC-LA se formo para ayudar que la comunidad pudiera organizarse, y para que junt at s podamos mejorar nuestra calidad de vida. También junt at s queremos aprender como cambiar este sistema a uno que refleje nuestra humanidad.

APOYAR LA LUCHA:
Recordemos que muchas personas arrestadas (pasado o presente) no son lejan at s. Much at s eran activistas comunitarias, sindicalistas activistas por el medio-ambiente o derechos queer, gente que lucharon en contra de la opresión y por sus acciones pagaron el precio de su libertad. Cada quien de estas personas podría haber estado al lado nuestr at s en una marcha, una platica, o una junta. En cualquier momento, podría ser tu o yo quien nos encontramos en la misma situación arrestad at s. Por eso es tan importante que haya una red fuerte de apoyo para l at s presos también como para nosotros afuera. La fuerza de nuestros movimientos se mide por como apoyamos nuestr at s companer at s caid at s.
PARTICIPE:
Se puede participar en varias maneras:
• Correr/Caminar/Bicicletear: Pedimos que los participantes obtengan cuantos patrocinadores posible. Recuerden que todos los fondos van para apoyar companer at s presos y organizaciones locales.
• Patrocine un participante a correr/caminar/bicicletear. Osea, dar una donación a través de un/una participante.
• Patrocine La Carrera Contra Los Muros. Cualquier donación ayuda. Contacte ABCF para hacer su donación. Organizaciones que donan mas de $35 serán nombradas como Patrocinadores en el sitio Web y en volantes.
• Done dinero directamente al Warchest. Para esto, haga una donación directamente al grupo Filadelfia ABC, indicando que es una donación para el Warchest. Cheques deben ser a nombre de Tim Fasnacht. (Philadelphia ABCF P.O. Box 42129 Philadelphia, PA 19101).
• Organice una Carrera Contra los Muros en su ciudad: Deseamos expandir estos actos de solidaridad a mas ciudades y mas prisiones. En el pasado se han hecho en:: Albuquerque (NM), Arcata (CA), Ashland, (OR), Bellefonte (PA), Boston (MA), Denver, (CO), Detroit (MI), Elmore (AL), Inez (KY), Marion (IL), Mexico City, New York (NY), USP. Navosta (TX), Pelican Bay (CA), Phoenix (AZ), Sandstone (MN), Tucson (AZ), Toronto, and Ontario.

PARA MAS INFORMACION:

Los Angeles Branch Group of the Anarchist Black Cross Federation PO Box11223 Whittier, CA 90603 la at abcf.net

http://www.abcf.net/la

“Corrimos contra los muros y corrimos para que saliera el sol y lo hicimos con alegría..” –Jaan Laaman, Preso Político