[Marxism] International progressives and Press TV

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Jul 31 07:37:42 MDT 2011

On Jul 31, 2011, at 7:45 AM, Joseph Catron wrote:
>  unlike the IRI, which has never launched a war, the governments these
> media represent actually go around attacking, invading, and
> occupying other
> people's countries.
The IRI may or may not have "launched" Persian Gulf War I,  during
which it certainly invaded and occupied parts of Iraq, but it also
certainly bore sole responsibility for keeping the slaughter going for
years after Saddam offered peace on the basis of the status quo ante,
at the cost of millions of lives and devastation to both countries:
the war, of course, ultimately ended on exactly those terms.

> The internal affairs of a state that minds its own
> business simply don't strike me as my business in the same way.
Not in the same way,  but when "its own business" is totalitarian
repression of mass democratic dissent--combined by passive acceptance
of invasion and occupation for the purpose of repressing mass
democratic dissent by its supposed coreligionists in Bahrein?

Shane Mage

"scientific discovery is basically recognition of obvious realities
that self-interest or ideology have kept everybody from paying
attention to"