[Marxism] Israel: Housing protests break out

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 31 08:43:49 MDT 2011

Joseph Catron wrote:

> Against which this new brand of "apolitical" protest, which shows
> little awareness that Palestinians exist, doesn't seem like much of an
> improvement, no?

Are you sure this is the case though?  At least according to many media sources in Germany, there has been active participation by Arab citizens in the protests, and supposedly some right-wingers attacked a "Jewish-Arabian" tent and ripped away a Palestinian flag.  This was reported both in the Süddeutsche Zeitung and the Frankfurter Rundschau:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/demonstrationen-fuer-mehr-soziale-gerechtigkeit-gegen-netanjahus-politik-1.1126453

http://www.fr-online.de/politik/100-000-israelis-fordern-mehr-soziale-gerechtigkeit/-/1472596/8730760/-/index.html

The right-wing Springer-owned daily Die Welt even had the headline: "The Arab Spring Comes to Israel".

It seems to me that this is a social movement of very real importance, the Mediterranean protest zone has expanded to include Israel.  A unified Israeli/Palestinian working class joining their brothers in Greece, Spain, and Egypt against the financial austerity regime imposed by the Washington-Brussels-Berlin axis is an exiting prospect that potentially has the rulers shaking in their boots.  Once this single spark is ignited, there's no stopping the prairie fire (or should it be desert fire?).