[Marxism] William Blum's follies

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Sep 2 11:51:45 MDT 2011

As they resemble in many ways most of the people who supported Obama
against McCain in 2008, today’s defenders of Qaddafi seem well-meaning
if ill-advised. I can understand why they would consider him a lesser
evil when matched against what they see as a diabolical cabal consisting
of Al-Qaida operatives backed by NATO who are interested in nothing
except surrendering Libya’s oil to foreign multinationals. Whether or
not this is exactly what Libya is facing is not so important. Once you
enter into “lesser evil” territory, there is a driving necessity to make
the “greater evil” look as bad as possible as anybody who watches MSNBC
from 6 to 11 each evening can attest.

And just like Obama was turned into something he really wasn’t in 2008—a
knight on shining armor—there is the same compulsion to depict Qaddafi
as a heroic anti-imperialist in the style of Castro at the Bay of Pigs.
To do this successfully, you need to cherry-pick your facts. I first
heard the term cherry-picking in the run-up to the war in Iraq and
always get a chuckle out of it.

My father had a fruit store when I was growing up and I would often see
old Jewish men and women standing at the cherry bin spending sometimes
up to five minutes picking out the “good” cherries. My father would
always glare at them but never said a word. Too bad Harvey Pekar wasn’t
around to open up his mouth.

full: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/william-blums-follies/