[Marxism] How Global Investors Make Money Out of Hunger

Tristan Sloughter tristan.sloughter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 18:21:40 MDT 2011

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,783654,00.html

(I often end up with lots of open tabs and forget where I got the links
from... Searching the list I am fairly confident I didn't get this from
here, but sorry if I did and am reposting)

I live in Chicago and work just down the street from the CBOT in a building
consisting of a number of trading related companies. The men in colored mesh
jackets are everywhere.

They don't deal with 'food' in the grain market and others they deal with
'widgets'. No thought of what a widget is or who needs it is thought of.

Knuckman refers to the fact that the poorest of the poor can no longer pay
> for their food as "undesirable side effects of the market."

I may sound like a broken record but I believe the mixture of environmental
crises, financial speculation and economic crises is leading the world to a
form of crisis never seen before.

Tristan