[Marxism] NYT on BDS concert protest / Barenboim & Said

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 10:16:06 MDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 5:15 PM, John Cox <johncox519 at hotmail.com> wrote:

The article about the Mehta concert & protests reminded me of this project
> that Edward Said launched (with the great Israeli conductor Barenboim) a few
> years before Said's death

Now there's a hot topic! Mariam Said, Edward's widow, and the Palestinian
Campaign for the Academic Boycott of Israel (PACBI) had quite a
back-and-forth last year over the question of whether WEDO is currently a
boycottable normalization project. Here's a taste of it:

http://electronicintifada.net/content/barenboim-said-foundation-does-not-promote-normalization/8728
http://www.pacbi.org/etemplate.php?id=1196

I got to see the debate in action in May, when Barenboim conducted a
European "Orchestra for Gaza" here. The consensus was that that performance
was not boycottable, whatever individuals might think of it or whether they
might choose to attend or support it.

--
lytlað."