[Marxism] Another ill-informed article invoking Karl Marx

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 09:23:30 MDT 2011

A couple of years ago I read a book by John Gray, "Straw Dogs", because it came with a cover blurb from J.G. Ballard.

Gray has an odd perspective, he basically has a sort of gloom-and-doom "decline and fall of civilization" kind of perspective rooted in a peculiar mixture of Sociobiology and continental philosophy.

So to the extent that Gray has any reception of Marx, it's not surprising that he looks to him primarily as a doomsday prophet.

It's amazing to me how much contempt and scorn contemporary bourgeois intellectuals seem to have for the notion of human agency, for the essential "changeability" of the world.  So Gray can't grasp the rapid technological and cultural change of the contemporary world as ultimately rooted in human agency, albeit mediated by the capital-relation.  Rather, like a good mysticist (or neo-classical economist), he attributes all of this to the magical powers of "capital" as subject.