[Marxism] Are jobs obsolete?

Tristan Sloughter tristan.sloughter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 12:01:58 MDT 2011

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/09/07/rushkoff.jobs.obsolete/index.html

Despite the many problems in the article, blaming the USPS problems on email
and the claim "[t]he communist answer to this question was just to
distribute everything evenly. But that sapped motivation and never quite
worked as advertised.", it is interesting to see a non-Marxist or anarchist
nearly making the connections that the Left has been arguing for decades
(centuries?).

He also nearly hits on the idea of abolishing work... But slides into some
sort of digital artisan based economy instead. And he doesn't hit on the
massive amounts of unpaid labor done by people.

Could a movement against jobs be created... I'm still trying to formulate
how that would look in my head and its tough and has all the obvious attacks
against it. Or is the step after full employment unable to be skipped to?
Must the fight always stay focused on jobs to be exploited by capitalists
and State security for times of unemployment and retirement.

OK, rambling and should get back to working.

Tristan