[Marxism] Libya is now set to be a scene of multiple battles

Paul Flewers trusscott.foundation at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 8 10:13:02 MDT 2011

Lou P cited Balhaj's interview with the New York Times, where he
presents himself as a democrat and his group as being only concerned
with Libya.

Well, yes he would say that, wouldn't he? Pluralism, diversity,
respect for others -- anyone trying to garner support from Western
countries will know precisely what buttons to push. We had this during
the Yugoslav collapse, where the Croat, Bosnian Muslim and Kosovan
spokesmen knew exactly what to say, whilst the Serb ones couldn't
escape from the traditional verbiage of 'blut und boden' nationalism.
To get official backing from Washington, London, Paris, Brussels, and
endorsement from the Decents and gullible liberals, one has to know
the right language to use. Even bin Laden started to place ecological
slogans amongst his quaint obscurantist imprecations.

Belhaj is not a fool; he knows that it's sound politics to dissociate
himself from al Qaeda and to come across as solely concerned with
Libya, with his days as an Islamist 'international brigader' in
Afghanistan well and truly behind him.

I share Lou's concerns about and exasperation with the pro-Gaddafi
people on the left, but I am not in the least inclined to be anything
but sceptical about the 'democratic' credentials of someone who has
made a lifetime career as a thoroughly reactionary Islamist activist.
I remember back in 1979 some people on the left arguing that the left
in Iran should give credence to the anti-imperialist pretensions of
Khomeini. Look what happened there.

Paul F